History of the French Legation
The French Legation to the Free State of Ireland was created by the act of July 18th, 1930, which was then announced by the Decree of July 26th, 1930.
Its staff included the following:
M. Charles ALPHAND, Extraordinary Envoy and plenipotentiary minister
M. Roger GAUCHERON, Secretary to the Legation
M. Jean VACHER-CORBIERE, Deputy Consul
M. Roger MEFFREYS, Chancellor
M. André ALPHAND, Chancellery attaché
M. André LEPREVOST, commercial attaché
The Minister presented his letters of credence to His Excellency the General Governor of the Free State on July 29th 1930.
The Legation’s Head Office was previously located in Leixlip Castle (Co.Kildare), and the chancellery services, such as the Consulate services, were located on 32, St Stephen’s Green.
The legation was transferred to 53, Ailesbury Road on April 7th 1931, and other services were moved to the Hôtel de la Légation on May 15th.
The French flag was raised for the very first time on May 11th, 1931, by the sailors of the aviso-fishery vessel “La Sentinelle”. Among the audience were present:
His Excellence Mr. Mc NEILL, General Governor of the Free State
His Excellence Mr. COSGRAVE, Chief of the Executive Board
His Excellence Mr. Mc GILLIAN, Foreign Affairs Minister
Other members of the government and foreign representatives accredited in Dublin
Eamon de Valera also attended the ceremony, as well as a few of his political friends, whom had not been invited.
They were nonetheless welcomed by the France Minister, as the official guests were leaving the premises.
Representation of France in Dublin has been, successively, through a consulate, then, when the Free State of Ireland was announced in 1921, a legation. After World War II, the latter finally became an embassy.
The Chancellery office, originally located on the ground floor, was moved to 36, Ailesbury Road in 1967. In March 2015, it was moved again to 66, Merrion Square (the consular section is located on 66, Fitzwilliam Lane).