Please make sure you provide the Embassy with all the following requirements. Failing to do so might lead to a rejection of your application.

PNG Please note that ALL THE DOCUMENTS must be produced in ORIGINALS and PHOTOCOPIES including all pages of your passport, your Irish reentry visa and GNIB card..

Please make sure you provide the Embassy with all the following requirements. Failing to produce a complete file may lead to a rejection of your application.

Better be right from the start! Why not use the list below as a check list?

The requirements for tourism are:

Application form

Make sure you fill it up completely. Some information, if missing, could delay the study of your file or lead to a rejection closure of your file. Click here to download the form.

Passport or travel document

Please note that your document has to be valid for a period of 3 months after the intended return and have a least 2 blank pages. From 5 April 2010, only passports that have been issued during the past ten years can be endorsed with a visa. If your passport has been issued more than 10 years ago, please apply for a new passport at your embassy. As for all documents listed below you should provide the Embassy with a copy of your passport that includes all the inside pages apart from the blank ones.

Re-entry visa to Ireland

That visa must be valid for at least 3 months after the intended return. No exception will be admitted.

1 passport size photograph

1 passport photograph conform to the French regulation (size 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm in colour with white background, taken within three months)

Garda Naturalisation and Immigration Bureau card

Only GNIB card holders (valid Irish residency permit) are entitled to apply for a Schengen visa at the embassy of France in Ireland. Your GNIB card must be valid for at least 3 months after the intended return date. No exception will be admitted.

Return tickets/booking to Ireland/flight/ferry/train/bus

Your flight or ferry should be fully booked on application. It is strongly advised to produce bus/train booking (or at least timetables for your train/bus journeys from a city/country to another). If you are visiting several Schengen countries, travel tickets for the whole itinerary are required. N.B.: if you do not want to run the risk of losing your payment in case of rejection, you might try and book through a travel agency.


If you are merely transiting through France you should produce a proof that you will be admitted in your Country of destination. That could be either a proof that you are a national of the said Country, a visa or a proof that you do not need a visa.

Travel plan

Please fill in the following table

PDF - 295.4 kb
Travel plan table (PDF - 295.4 ko)
(PDF - 295.4 kb)
Attestation d’accueil (if you are staying with family or friends)

This document is compulsory when you are hosted by someone in France. This lodging certificate should be sent to you by the person whose home you will be staying in. This person will obtain it from the town hall in France to whom he/she should produce an ID, a proof of lawful residence, a lease or title deed, a recent invoice (electricity , telephone..), proof of his/her financial means as well as information regarding yourself (full name, date and place of birth, address, passport number). He/she will also bring a 30 € tax stamp.

Hotel in France

Confirm hotel bookings for the whole duration of your stay in the Schengen area.

Travel and repatriation insurance

You should provide the embassy with the policy/membership certificate/certificate of registration with your name, surname and validity date. The insurance should be subscribed with a provider in Ireland. It should cover you for your whole stay, for the whole Schengen area, with a minimum cover of 30 000 euros.

Proof of same should be provided (a card is not sufficient).

N.B.: The European Medical Card does not meet those criteria.

Car insurance/insurance registration certificate

Both the above must be submitted when travelling with your car.

A recent letter from your employer

That letter should indicate your date of hiring, your position in the company, whether you are working full or part-time, your yearly salary and the dates of your planned holidays.

Letter from the higher education institution

If you are staying in Ireland as a student (stamp 2) please bring a letter from your school/college/university stating the matter and level of your studies, your attendance rate, and the dates of your holidays and/or intended trip. In case you are sponsored by your government and in receipt of a stipend, you will produce a lawful confirmation of it.

If you have been studying in Ireland for some years, it might be useful to produce proofs of the previous years studies.

Your pay slips for the last 3 months

With, quite obviously, your name and that of the company.

Business registration/Tax registration/P60-P45-P21/tax clearance

If self employed, you will provide the embassy with the most recents of the above.

Written proof of allowances

You will provide the embassy with a recent letter from the social welfare stating your weekly/monthly allowances (unemployment, child benefit, rent allowance…)

Authorisation to travel for the unemployed

If you are in receipt of unemployment/long term disease/disability allowances, you will bring a letter from the social services allowing you to travel a the proposed dates.

Marriage certificate

It is compulsory for dependents to produce the above.

Same is compulsory for spouses of an EU citizen

If married to a French national, you will produce the French marriage certificate. (If you got married out of France your foreign marriage certificate should have been transcripted into a French one by the French Embassy/Consulate).

Birth certificate

A birth certificate has to be produced for any applicant under 18.

Parental authorisation

When a minor is traveling alone (or with the school) both parents should sign a parental authorisation.
In case there is only one tenant of parental authority, please produce a proof of that fact. A model of authorization will be found on the Embassy website. Click here. To that form, you will add a copy of the parents’ passports.

Bank statements

On application you should produce your bank statements for the last 3 MONTHS ; the last one should be less than 15 DAYS OLD. Those statements should bear your name and address. If needed, you can complete the documents you received from the bank with a mini statement from the ATM.

When applicable you may produce statements for more than one account. If you have both a company and a private account, please bring both.

We also advise applicants to produce a copy of their credit card together with their last credit card statement.

Proof of transfer

Should your bank statement shows transfers over the past 3 months period, please provide the embassy with a confirmation of this bank transaction (inward payment advice issued by the bank).

Registered envelope (1 envelope per passport with a 7 euros stamp). Envelopes and stamps have to be given on the day of your visa application.

If you cannot come to collect your passport on the collection date, please provide the visa section an envelope bearing your correct address in the receiver’s section + a 7 euros stamp (per passport). Note that your passport might not reach you on the collection date due to postal delay. Note that in case of rejection, the Embassy will not be in a position to return passports by post : all applicants will have to present themselves to collect passports.

N.B.: Should you fail to produce one or more of the required documents on application, you will be asked to come to the visa section again with the missing papers.
No faxes will be admitted

Better be right from the start! Why not use this as a check list?

Published on 19/04/2017

top of the page