Jan. 2020/ Dairy Chef 2020 – The finalists are... [fr]
The Dairy Chef jury met on the 13th of January to select the 10 laureates who will gather in Galway for the 3rd final of the Franco-Irish competition
The competition will be assessed this year again by famous chefs, highlighting the thriving food culture of Galway and Mayo, represented by Paula Stakelum, pastry chef at the Ashford Castle and JP McMahon, owner of restaurants and cafés in Galway city, including Michelin starred Aniar.
They joined Sonia Ezgulian, chef, author and journalist in Lyon, the Embassy of France in Ireland, the National Dairy Council (NDC), the Centre interprofessionnel de l’économie laitière (Cniel), the Embassy of Ireland in France, the Higher Education Authority and Campus France.
Candidate students have submitted 3-courses menus around dairy produce, inspired by the theme Meitheal*. The process was not an easy one but here are the 10 finalists selected out of 22 candidates:
- Team 1: Marcin Wisniewski from Kerry College of Further Education and Training and Théo Vermeulen from lycée hôtelier de La Rochelle
- Team 2: Sophie Walsh from Cork Institute of Technology and Florentin Gamelin from CFA Eugénie Brazier
- Team 3: Niamh Kelly from Cork Institute of Technology and Alan Berrivin from faculté des métiers du CFA de la CCI d’Ille et Vilaine
- Team 4: Daniel Lambert from Letterkenny Institute of Technology and Florent Teillet from lycée Biarritz Atlantique
- Team 5 : Tiago Souza Capeletti from Galway Mayo Institute of Technology and Etienne Alison from CFA Médéric
The 5 teams have 2 months to prepare the menu they will cook on Wednesday 1st April 2020 in the kitchens of the Galway Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT)[Old Dublin Rd, Galway]. The cook-off will officially open the 5th FICAHT Forum, taking place until the 4th April in Galway.
The winners will get a chance to do an internship in one of the restaurants represented in the jury: Ashford Castle, Aniar and the kitchen of the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs.